History of The Manor
The Manor dates from the 14th Century, however its life began in the 11th Century.
Weston (now the Manor) belonged to Wigod of Wallingford who was a cupbearer to Edward the Confessor. Robert D’Oyley who succeeded to Weston by marriage settled the Manor in dowry upon his wife, Edith Forne a former mistress of Henry I. Her Grandson Henry D’Oyley gave the Manor as a marriage portion for his daughter Maud to Maurice de Gaunt who joined their revolt against King John (1215-1217).
In 1226 Maurice de Gaunt made over the whole Manor to the Monks of the Abbey of Oseney. The Manor then became one of the most valuable estates belonging to the Abbey. Farms were settled in the surrounding district and a Bailiff was resident in the Manor. The Chief feature of the House is undoubtedly the Great Hall (Barons Hall) where the Abbots of Osney held their courts.
In 1539 with the dissolution of the Monasteries the Manor and all possessions now belonged to King Henry VIII who then granted the Manor and Vicarage to Sir John Williams, Royal Commissioner and Treasurer of the Kings’s Jewels. He was a characteristic man and faithfully served King Henry VIII, followed by Edward VI, Queen Mary Tudor and Queen Elizabeth. On Mary Tudor ascending the throne in 1553 he was created Baron Williams of Thame. By his first marriage with Elizabeth Bedlow he had 3 sons and 2 daughters, the history records show that it was through his daughters marriage Margery to Henry Norreys and their children that Weston Manor was to survive and remain in the Norreys / Bertie family for another 350 years. The last male heir died in the Great War of 1914-1918 and so then changed ownership until 1946 when the Manor became a Hotel.
The most famous Ghost who is supposedly to haunt the Manor is “Mad Maud” When the Manor was a monastery Maude is said to have fallen in love with one of the Monks. One fateful night Maude was discovered in the Monks cell and was tried and found guilty trial this young Nun was burnt alive at the stakes in the Village of Weston over 500 years ago, no records have shown as to the punishment of the Monk. Perhaps “Mad” implies that she was a very simple girl who had been lured to the monastery by the Monks. Maude is thought to return to the fine oak-panelled Bedroom and reports of her presence being felt and a mysterious “something” yet in describable feeling by guests, nothing unpleasant as Maud not unkind.
It would be unusual if a historic building such as the Manor did not have ghost stories associated with previous inhabitants but it is comforting to know that many hundreds of guests have enjoyed the hospitality, charm, quintessential elegance and wonderful pleasant memories of the The Manor Country House Hotel and we hope that you do too.
The Manor Country House Hotel
Tel: 01869 350 621